"Inclusion - Being Different Together" on 31. October, 18., 20. and 28. November online via Zoom
Living together in solidarity in a diverse society – this postulates that every person is an equitable part of the community and is granted equal opportunities from the start. The term inclusion refers to just that and can be understood on different levels: political, social, economic, theoretical or pragmatical – for example when looking at the participation of people with physical impairments or learning difficulties.
Often times one disregards that the right to inclusion is not negotiable but declared by the United Nations Convention of Rights of Persons with Disabilities. In 2010 it was included into Tanzanian law through the “Persons with Disability Act”.
However, reality often is different and people with disabilities are denied their right to participation in both Germany and Tanzania. That’s why in this seminar we want to focus on how to successfully build inclusive societies and overcome the respective boundaries in both countries. Practical examples show how an equal and just participation can be implemented and in discussions with activists and experts from Tanzania and Germany we want to find possible approaches. By choosing one of the workshops participants are able to focus on specific aspects and by taking part in the virtual break-out rooms, questions and experiences can be shared.
"If everybody participates, it's normal to be different."
Program Saturday October 31, 2020:
- 9:30 : Welcome note and technical introduction
- 10:00: Video: Living with disabilities in Tanzania - Insights into the daily life of Mary Stephano, followed by an intreview with the protagonists (in Swahili, translation to German)
- 10:30: Dr. med Hans Schwake: Introduction to the concept of community based rehabilitation with regard to the challenges faced by people with disabilities in Tanzania (in German, translation to English)
- 11:15: Coffee break
- 11:45: Albert Chaki: "CBR Network Tanzania" (in English with translation to German)
- 12:30: Exchange in smaller break-out rooms
- 12:45: Closing note and introduction of upcoming workshops on inclusion during November
During the month of November, the following workshop will be conducted:
Wednesday, 18.11.2020 / 17:00-18:30
David Lebuser and Theresa Harbauer (Haydom Friends e.V. Hamburg): "With the wheel chair to Mount Meru – Worldrecord for the Spina Bifida Program in Haydom" (in German)
Friday, 20.11.2020 / 18:00-19:30
Torsten Strauss und Kirima Ilomo: "Feeling/ daring more democracy? – Socio-pedagogical oriented physiotherapy" (in German)
Saturday, 28.11.2020 / 9:00-13:00
|Elizabeth Silayo: "Inclusion of people with disabilities into the Tanzanian society and among the Chagga" (in English))|
Dr. med. Hans Schwake: "Partnership work through the example of Neemarehabilitation e.V.(D) and NeemaReha in Iringa (TZ)" (in German)
Panel discussion with Hans Schwake and Boaz Murema (Bantu e.V.): Projects for people with disabilities – A (post)colonial perspective
The seminar as well as the following workshops are open to everyone. Please register under the following link:
If you have questions regarding the registration, feel free to contact us via email: ks(at)tanzania-network.de